
From sad to funny and everything in between...it was quite a day at the office. Let's begin with the funny. Ok, I get some pretty comical names working in the Sac-Town...Bzennifer, Myjoy, Johnny Walker...no, those are no joke, not typos. I often sit at my desk and giggle, thinking, really? Really? That's what you named your kid...nice. BUT today is definitely the topper. The Mom's name (born in '74 mind you) is Psychedelic Bloodgood!! So, of course, we want to make sure this isn't some awful human error in our system, and we ask, "So what do you go by?" And she replies as if she doesn't have the weirdest name on the planet, "Psychedelic." Ya....wow! Don't even get me started on the last name...Bloodgood (WTF?!). Ok, THEN we get into her son's file....oh yeah folks, we are now screaming CULT! She named him Temple Bloodgood. All I have to say is wow right now...
Then the day took a sad turn. A mom came in today to turn back in her WIC vouchers because her infant had died of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) this week. Ugh. I think the office had a somber tone for the rest of the day. It is our fourth SIDS baby in four months. We all wonder if maybe we had just educated her, or handed her a pamphlet, or warned her better, it could have been prevented. The majority of our participants have an environmental risk factor (smoking in the home, either themselves or someone else) which is a huge contributor to SIDS, along with alcohol and drug abuse, co-sleeping without taking precautions and sometimes, there is no explanation. And because of the budget crisis we lost our major funding for our SIDS prevention education. The UCD health care system saw a huge decline in their SIDS cases when we were doing our preventative classes. BUT, I guess other things were more important, can't really think of WHAT, but that's life I guess.
On a final note, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the pics and card. They were awesome. Sofia had a great time going through them and naming everyone.
We send our love!
No comments:
Post a Comment